Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has a huge cist on his left hip about the size of my…

Customer Question
Hi. My cat has...

Hi. My cat has a huge cist on his left hip about the size of my closed fist. There are wounds there but they hac

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your cat bleeding a lot?

No. the wounds are healed over. He is pretty lethargic but still nibbling his food

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the cat's name and age?

Patch and he is approx. 12yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Patch?

12 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Patch?

No. He is a pretty healthy cat normally though he is inclined to get these cists from fighting

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has it been present?

Is the lump hard, fluidy, or sore to the touch?

Where the wounds near the area this mass is on?

Can you take a photo of this for me to assess? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thankyou. the lump is hard and sore for him. The wound are on this lump. Unfortunately cannot take a photo he just took off. The lump has been there approx. 4 days.

Poor Patch,

Given your description, this isn't likely a cyst and instead is a bacterial abscess. We can see them appear delayed from when wounds arise in cases where the bacterial volume inoculated into the wound is low (so it takes longer for the bacteria to grow and then cause the infection). And I have to note if he is lethargic with appetite loss this suggests that bacteria is proliferating but also spreading into the blood stream to make him feel systemically unwell.

With this in mind, our best option for Patch would be to get his local vet to dispense antibiotics so we can treat this from the inside out. If it is huge, then we may also want them to drain the abscess so the body can fight this infection quicker.Of course, as they do that they can dispense a kitty safe pain relief like Metacam (since human OTC pain relief options are kitty toxic). And if this opens at all to drain, you could also flush the abscess to remove as much pus as possible. With that we often will use a mild antiseptic (ie dilute betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water) 2-3 times daily. Afterwards, we could apply an OTC antibiotic cream to reduce bacterial load but of course oral antibiotics tend to be the best to clear this from the blood stream and get all the bacterial cleared (else they can heal over the reducing infection and we end up with a recurrence).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian