Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Oh wow didnt expect any help lol he threw up a few time and…

Customer Question
Oh wow didnt expect...

Oh wow didnt expect any help lol he threw up a few time and the last had some pink color and was liquidie (

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

Not thay I know of

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Trey and 3 year old male

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Trey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

No he is a completely healthy cat. Has some anxiety issues I believe but nothing on record for it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing signs?

Can he keep any water down?

Any issues passing urine?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Just came home from work and hearts he got sick twice but then I saw him do that. I have two cats so its tough to tell who goes in what box ��

Hello again,

First, if you can check his gums, do make sure they aren't pale (as that can be an urgent sign of internal bleeding or GI circulation issues often related to blockages) and do check that he isn't sore. Otherwise we do need to keep an eye on litter box visits with Trey since some urinary blocked cats (a kitty emergency) can show vomiting as well. Otherwise, we'd be most concerned that his signs are due to a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretion, and harmful ingestion (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). And just to note, the pink will be scant blood from the throat being irritated by the vomit (and usually that settles if we can reduce the vomiting)

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can try an easily digestible diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Overall, Trey's signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive now. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**