Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I could use a second opinion please. It is my mother's cat.

Customer Question
I could use a...

I could use a second opinion please

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

It is my mother's cat. He stopped eating on Monday night. Threw up Tuesday a few times We took him to our local vet on Wednesday. Blood work and xray IV for fluids nad three shots, vitamin b, stomach thing and antiboitic bloodwork came back good. Cat is 7 years old xray showed some blockages. Two showing gas pockets, one bowel at end of intestines

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your mother's cat eat anything unusual?

No took him back to the vet yesterday for another round of shots and IV Hand feeding with syringe special food

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

No shots today or IV Hand feeding and water. Cat throwing up again She is ready for euthanization

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your mother's cat?

No thank you

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi!

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Did they not offer an abdominal ultrasound!? and why the oral antibiotics?

I would be very happy to get this sorted out for you

Did they check the urine?

Paul

They did not do an ultrasound, not sure why the antibotics, they did not check the urine. He did much better with the IV fluids, although not eating on his own did hold down syringe food and was more perked up. My mother is on a fixed income. I have some I can help her with but her bill is already 625.00. This is why she avoided fluids and shots today. The Dr stated if no IV fluid today then must give 4 cups of water. He is also on a tub oil thing to help disolve cat hair.
please help with chat. I have my mother on my other line, she is crying, she thinks she has to put her cat down
okay thank you, ***** ***** up with me, she is upset, going to wait for the cat to die at home :(
I am still hanging on with you waiting for a response. Perhaps you are busy and I respect that

Hi again

She needs to take a deep breath and let you work through things

It does NOT mean the cat has to die

There are things that can be done. I am angry because they did not check the urine or offer an ultrasound

We could have sorted this out days ago and not wasted so much money on empirical treatment

What can we do now?
the doctor said the xray showed blockages, three of them
two showed gas pockets which he felt was by hair and the third showed stool which he felt was hard and not passing due to dehyrdration

You can get me those xrays

The fact that they prescribed antibiotics for no reason and did not do urinalysis or offer ultrasound makes everything circumspect

Can you get me those to look at?

We need to support kitty till that is done and/or get the ultrasound done

Paul

How do I get you the xrays, he took three of them. The cat was wheezy btw when he was there, what could the urine show? I can help with the animal a little but my mother is on a fixed income and is very very sad. I saw the xrays myself. They showed two light grey areas that he felt was blockage and he mentioned gas and a very dark block further down the spine that he said was feces
the bloodwork came out fine. He thought his gums were a little jaundice, but I read that could have been from just dehydration.

Were the x-rays on a video screen as in digital? f so they can e-mail the images to you

I am not believing that there is blockage- sorry- I may be wrong but we need to look

The urine would have detected early chronic kidney disease, infection like pyelonephritis, liver disease

Paul

the bloodwork he said was normal, wouldn't that have shown up in blood
the xrays seemed like a big plastic image against a white background, old school.

No early chronic kidney disease shows up only in urine

Kidney infection only in urine

Bilirubin can be in urine and is highly significant if present

Paul

would any of these show what we saw in the xray and would they cause the cat to vomit and not eat. The first day the cat vomited food but the next day only bile and the third day white milky stuff
how do I get you those big ole xrays for another thought. I cannot comfort my mother, she is thinking she is losing her beloved pet
I first paid for her bill but she opened a care credit card to pay for it.
the cat has not have a bowel movement in five days and has at least peed a little
the vet said he had a blockage and was hoping the extra hydration and stomach shot would help as well as the oil stuff for hairballs

Hi

Sorry was on ER call

the vitamins would help his appetite

Have them email the images to you

Then you attach them here using the paperclip on the toolbar on the site

Paul

okay we will work on the xrays, the cat has not had a bowel movement in days, and the vet said he had a feces blockage... In the meantime do you have any home remedies my mother can do besides, syringe water, syringe food and that cat draino (it's what I call it to break down hair) thank you for your help. I will remember you
while I am at it because you have a kind soul my dog of 13 years, spayed has been peeing at night at bedtime. In july of this year it has been about every three days. we tried her on prion 50mg 2x daily for one week and no results. She is now peeing at night heavily that the diaper I put on her is FULL FULL FULL, should we do a urine test

Sounds like this might be constipation or obstipation but there must be something else going on

Giving fluids- water, pedialyte or no salt chicken broth is fine

Four cups is an insane amount for a cat to get in one day

More like 1 1/2 cups per day

Get me those x-rays.

Regarding your dog- Did they get a urine sample to loo for infection or dilute urine? Is she drinking more water? And did they do a bladder ultrasound?

Paul

love you, my mom will ask for the xrays for her cat. No urine sample for my dog when they suggested incontinence 5 months ago but I feel something is not right there. I will call them tomorrow to check for an infection. She pees HUGE at night at the diaper soaks most of it but not all of it so I will see what we need for them to check her urine. Different vet than my mothers. I am sorry and I appreciate the extra advice.. First issue is saving my mothers cat.. Thank you thus far
What do you feel about the cat not having a bowel movement in days

Welcome

I agree lets get kitty sorted first

If constipated then would not poop

If not eating would not poop

So I am not too freaked out by that

Okay I will look for your update on the x-rays. The sooner I have those the faster I can advance this case

In the meantime find a new vet. One that has an ultrasound machine and knows how to use it

You can rate me now- I will leave the link open so that you can update me and not incur more costs

I will follow this through with you till it is sorted :)

Paul

my mother doesn't know a vet that has an ultrasound machine and the cat as an indoor cat does not get is annual shots which seem to be a problem when she takes him places. the last vet which is her normal vet only took him without shot because he was sick I will ask her to call around, what are we looking to see.... HUGS to you I will get my dog urine checked for start

We are able to evaluate the entire intestinal tract and lymph nodes amongst other things

We will know for sure if there is a blockage or just constipation

We can also assess the pancreas and stomach and liver

It is a very very sensitive and fast test

Paul

will do will ask her to get those xrays... sleep well

Great

Not much sleep here- five young kids and super busy with sick animals LOL

Dont forget to rate me ;)

Paul

oh gosh hang in....will be in touch. I have three elderly dogs and a emotional son who moved back home.... no rest here either

Thanks

Attached are the xrays

I cant open them on my computer

The format does not work with my programs :(

I put it in word. Let me try something else
We are going to vet office for more fluids
I did not see a response from you after the xrays... which you stated was the most important thing.