Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I don't have any money until my ss check comes in on

Customer Question
I don't have any...

I don't have any money until my ss check comes in on Wednesday -- just to get that off my chest. My approx 6 mo old kitten (neutered, shots, and negative for FIP, etc) has become really bloated. He has lost muscle but has continued to eat some until today. I have been handfeeding him also -- baby food chicken, pumpkin, pedialyte, egg yolk, kitten milk substitute, some diatomaceous earth -- and some holistic worming medication. He's alert but obviously doesn't feel well. What should I continue to do? I was just reading the posts above -- he was feral and when I brought him in had the typical eye and resp issues which our veterinarian treated. Any suggestions???

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?

Trio...he's our third tuxedo kitty!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?

Not that I can think of. I plan to take his temperature (although I'm sure it's up) and I was thinking he might also be constipated....

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/30/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about Trio as I am quite concerned about your wee lad.

To see a bloated belly in a kitten raises some serious concerns. Especially if you think he has a fever (do check that if you can) or constipation (usually a side effect of the bloating compressing the GI, though if you aren't seeing straining he may not be). The reason is because of our concerns for bloating with fever, bacterial peritonitis and FIP (which the tests are not straight forward, so it cannot be excluded plus the way you've written it above I suspect he hasn't been tested for this and instead was tested for FIV/FeLV) would be our main worries. And those tend to be conditions with a guarded prognosis and the bacterial concern often needs intensive antibiotic therapy.

Otherwise, if you check his temperature and he is normal (100.5-102.5*F). then we have other worries. Other causes for kitten bloating include heart defects (causing fluid to build up), secondary to low blood proteins (from severe worm burdens, secondary to diarrhea or liver issues), bleeds (hopefully less likely but can be from trauma, rat bait ingestion or damage to the gut from foreign bodies) or enlarged organs (uncommon in young animals).

And while I see you did use a holistic wormer, I do have to say that they are of variable use and if he were my patient I'd want to use a proper one (ie Panacur, Milbemax, etc) so we can make sure he is worm free and scratch that worry off our list. Also do add an OTC cat hairball treatment to his meals to help keep him fecally regular. Otherwise it would be ideal to see if the local vet can scan Trio's belly for you (some offer payment plans or Care Credit maybe an option). An ultrasound would let us check for all of the above (and double check we don't have any gut compromise) and if fluid was present it can be sampled for analysis to tell us which issue is present here and how we can help him.

Finally, I just want to mention some options that could help here. You could get a free check up (just to offset costs of having this looked into further), at your local VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) & Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html). They have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.