Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I see fleas on kittens 19 days old. OK to use Revolution on…

Customer Question
I see fleas on...

I see fleas on kittens 19 days old. OK to use Revolution on nursing mother? Will the selemectin in her milk find its way to the kittens and kill the kittens fleas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the kitten's name?

There are 4 new kittens, 19 days old. No names, yet. Kittens appear quite healthy, except for fleas.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/29/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

According to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, Plumb, 2015, "Selamectin (Revolution) appears to be safe to use in pregnant or lactating dogs or cats." Selamectin is excreted into the milk but no studies have been performed to assess efficacy in flea killing by that route. There may be enough selamectin on the nursing mother's skin, however, that transfers to the kittens and kills fleas. Please note, however, that it's not recommended for use in cats under 8 weeks of age. I believe that the safest manner in which to address fleas in kittens is to bathe the mother in a noninsecticidal shampoo and then flea comb away her fleas and then flea comb each kitten thereby avoiding any chemical toxicity to the kittens. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian