Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Scabs along back, been scratching and licking a lot. Fur…

Scabs along back, been scratching...
Scabs along back, been scratching and licking a lot. Fur missing from base of tail from licking.
12/29/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Good morning

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

This is fleas almost 100%

You can buy flea collars and sprays that will deal with them very quickly

You might also want to buy a premise spray to kill the fleas in the environment

Hope that helps!

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Even if we can't find any on her, or the dog, or anywhere else in the house?

Many times we do not see the fleas in the house or on the pet

And some animals scratch while others dont- it is based on whether they are allergic to the bites

I would treat for the fleas first before you take Olivia in for a work-up

Pretty sure that is the problem

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** try a collar and drops.One thing worth mentioning is it started after we moved in to a new apartment, its a damp environment and we had some trouble with mold. I think we got it all cleared up. But o figured it would be worth noting, just in case.

Yes

That is good history

Getting a de-humidifier will help and dont forget that fleas like humidity :)

Okay please update me in a few days

You can rate me now and I will leave the link open so you can update me and not incur more costs

I will follow along with you till we get this sorted

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Very prompt with initial question, as well as follow up answers and advice. Going to try his recommendation and will report back with results.

Thanks for the kind feedback

To rate you just click on the little "rate now" button :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about Olivia. How is everything going?
DocPaul
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Update: the scratching and scabs have slightly improved but the licking is still occuring. Also the last 2 days she's been super lethargic. Like has to be sleeping on one of us and in positions she never would have put up with before. Could this be lack of iron from all the bites or from using the drops AND a collar? Collar seems to be doing more than the drops did.
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian