Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has scabs on his neck which he has now had for quite…

Customer Question
My cat has scabs on...
My cat has scabs on his neck which he has now had for quite a few months. I have had him at the vets who checked him for fleas but none were found. He said he has dermatitis and he has had 2 lots of antibiotic creams which helped a it but didn't take it away totally. Then this was followed by 2 lots of antibiotic injections which treated him for 2 weeks each time. These also have not fully cleared the problem. After a this the scabs are back nearly as bad as they were at the start. The good thing though is they do t seem to be bothering him and he is bot scratching the area. The scabs are on the front of the neck at the throat area. He is an indoor cat who occasionally likes to go out in the garden. I have not treated him for fleas in a long time as he gets regularly groomed and in his 12 years had never had fleas?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
The vet was happy when some of the scabs came off and he could see that the skin was healthy underneath. It seems as if the treatment only works in part as the scabs just seem to never fully heal and without antibiotics they seem to get worse. Although I said my cat doesn't scratch the area, he doesn't like me to touch the scabs.
12/29/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 3 months ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

I am so sorry your baby has this trouble. It is an allergic reaction called miliary dermatitis:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miliary_dermatitis

You can apply raw honey to any sore or irritated areas. It is a remarkable healing agent:

http://winterparkhoney.ecrater.com/p/4865201/16-oz-melaleuca-honey-raw-unheated

http://oramanukahoney.com.au/animal_care.html

In addition, add one quarter of a 4 mg chlortrimeten to a tablespoon of baby food chicken or turkey with no onion or garlic.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

Give it every 24 hours. It is very tiny so he will not detect it

Please let me know how he is dong. Just reply here anytime.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Love,

Terri

Thank you I will try raw honey and see if that helps. Should I try to source a honey local to where I live (Glasgow, Scotland) or does this not matter? Also as Cody is not scratching the area do I need to apply chlortrimeten? Also when you say baby food chicken, do you mean kitten food or actual baby food(human) ?
Thank you

Hi and happy new year,

Any honey will work but if you can get manuka or raw honey that would be best.

Actual baby food for human infants or canned cat food will work as long as he eats it right up

If hes not scratching you can yon the chlortrimeton and just treat with honey for now.

That will clear it up in a few days.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
I've just managed to get Manuka honey and I've applied it the once to the affected areas. Do I apply it once a day or more? I will get back to you with the results.
Thanks
Apply it several times a day
Not a lot just a dab on each scab
Terri
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert