Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I watched her jump from. A cabinet about 8ft up and when she…

Customer Question
I watched her jump...

I watched her jump from. A cabinet about 8ft up and when she hit the floor she collapsed now she won't move or put any pressure on her leg instead she just lays down I picked her up and it feels like her hip is piping in and out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Anna and she's a little over 2 ahe had a litter of kittens about 6 months ago if that helps

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Anna?

Ah not really she's always been very healthy

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/29/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

An offer for a phone consultation usually will come up a few minutes after starting the chat, please note that it is not from me, it is automatically generated by the site. I am not always able to do phone consultations, but I can always continue chatting with you here.

Poor Anna! That is quite a distance to jump, and even though cats usually land on their feet, sometimes they can have a bad landing and injure themselves.

Cats are quite stoic, but that is always more worrisome if they are not putting any weight at all on one of their limbs with a high chance of something being broken or dislocated, especially if you can feel something oddly popping.

Is she bleeding at all?

If there are no bones sticking out/bleeding, you could just keep her quiet for tonight (she probably won't want to do much any way) and call your vet in the morning, they will likely sedate her and take an xray to see what is going on with her leg.

It wouldn't be overly cautious to take her in to an emergency clinic tonight especially if she is seeming distressed at all - if it is something like a broken or dislocated hip, it is not typically a surgery that would be performed at an emergency clinic (and they don't always even need surgery), but they could at least take xrays and give pain meds tonight - there is nothing safe to give a cat for pain meds from your own medicine cabinet.

I hope that helps for some options to consider for tonight-

How is Anna doing today? Were you able to get her in for an evaluation?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Beth