Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I rescued a cat from outdoors. He was very skinny and wasn't…

Customer Question
Hi - I rescued a...
Hi - I rescued a cat from outdoors. He was very skinny and wasn't doing well. It's been very very cold. Anyways, he is using the litter box to go urine, but his basically going diarrhea in the little cat house he is lying in and isn't eating very much. Any idea why a cat would poop in the spot he is lying, but use the litter box to pee?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/29/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

An offer for a phone consultation usually will come up a few minutes after starting the chat, please note that it is not from me, it is automatically generated by the site. I am not always able to do phone consultations, but I can always continue chatting with you here.

I'm sorry your kitty isn't feeling well, how long have you been caring for him? Have you given him a name?

What have you been offering him to eat?

When cats are having diarrhea, sometimes there can be a factor for urgency - they have to go and can't control it, or don't have enough warning to get to the litter box. For a cat that has been outdoors, intestinal parasites (worms) can be an cause for diarrhea, even if you aren't seeing anything obvious in the stool at a glance. It can help to check some of the poop microscopically with your regular vet to see if there is a specific parasite treatment he needs, and even if no worms/eggs are found, we can usually figure out something to try to get the stool back to a normal consistency.

His appetite being down may be related to the GI upset, one thing to consider trying as many cats will go for it when not interested in much else, and easy on their system, is a meat flavored baby food (like what we would give a human baby starting solid food). Usually they like the very plain flavors by Gerber, Delmonte, or Beechnut, just meat with the gravy like chicken, turkey, or ham. Check the ingredient list that no other flavors like garlic or onion has been added. Sometimes warming a little can help make it more appealing too.

Just checking in, is your cat seeming any better?

Hi Jonathan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Beth