Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat came in about a week ago with a pretty minor looking…

Customer Question
Hi there. My cat...

Hi there. My cat came in about a week ago with a pretty minor looking abraision on his back - looked like a bite or scratch. He seemed fine otherwise. he eats, poops, pees... but lately when I pick him up he meows loudly and tries to bite. I've been putting antibiotic cream on the bite. What could be going on?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Squeezy - 8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Squeezy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Squeezy?

He had an injury about a month ago - limp in back leg. The vet checked him out and it was a sprain - he seems to limp just a little but is much better. Other than that, nothing. He's an inside/outside cat

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

I am suspicious that Squeezy may have an abscess under the skin where the original abrasion or scratch occurred. This is a common problem in cats. When a small injury such as a bite or scratch penetrates the skin, bacteria can be deposited under the skin, and this bacteria will form an infection (an abscess) that needs to be lanced and drained by a veterinarian. Typically this requires a sedative or anesthesia, and antibiotics and pain medicine will likely also be prescribed after the abscess is treated.

In some cases, it's not actually an abscess that needs to be drained, but instead Cellulitis, which is treated with antibiotics and pain medicine without the need for lancing or draining.

Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian