Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have four year old male cat named. We recently traveled…

Customer Question
Hi, I have four...

Hi, I have four year old male cat named Clark. We recently traveled from New York to Colorado for the holidays and while he was okay the first two days here, he hasn’t really pooped in the last 24 hours. He gets in his litter box and strains and acts like he wants to poop but he can’t. Now he’s howling, vomiting, and squeaking when he tries to poop

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

He nibbles on my mon’s house fern plant earlier this morning

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

But he stopped really pooping last night. He’s pooped a tiny bit over the day but not mucn

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

The cat’s name is ***** ***** no, nothing else. Thank you!

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your questions. I am sorry that you are going through this. I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.

So as far as the constipation, I would recommend the following:

1. Add extra water to the food to improve hydration and help with stool output. Hopefully he is still eating. You can even try to add some low sodium chicken broth to his food with water to help with water consumption.

2. Miralax- Give 1/4 tsp twice daily with food. This is a human supplement that can help with constipation in cats.

3. Laxatone- This is a supplement that is used for hairballs in cats, but because it comes in a paste form, this is something that you can try to use if the above things are not working. I wouldn't add too many things at once, but consider this if the miralax and water are not helping.

4. Probiotics- I really like purina fortiflora and it is very palatable for cats. This is easy to find at most pet stores, vet hospitals or online.

typing online....

Second, I would be very careful about the ferns. There are some ferns that can be toxic to cats. The poison control hotline/website has a list of toxic plants that you can check out. You would have to know what type for fern it is. The best rule is to prevent him from chewing on any plants at all.

5. Finally, if he is not eating well, you can try to give him some pepcid AC, Famotidine. This is an acid reducer that can help with upset stomach. You can give 2.5 mg twice daily if needed.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. I am happy to help.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time.

Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for about a week, so keep me posted on how he is doing.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole