Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have two recently rescued female cats from the animal

Customer Question
I have two recently...

I have two recently rescued female cats from the animal shelter. Both are scratching - quite possibly fleas and ear mites. One seems to be in more discomfort than the other. With all the various brands of flea remedies and I don't know what to do with ear mites, what do you suggest on a low-income budget?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Ghost, white domestic short hair, 9 years. Jazmin, brown tabby domestic short hair, 2 years. Ghost is having more problems with insects & mites. She is also gluten intolerant.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ghost?

Not that I know of. We haven't gone to a vet yet because of the holidays and I work shifts.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/28/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 month ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me where both cats are scratching?

Do you see any fleas in their coat, specifically Ghost's?

Are they on any medication at this time?

Have you reached out to the shelter to see if they are under a health guarantee to be treated at their cost?

Do you see any black buildup in the ears or are the ear canals clean?

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian