Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat, 17 y/o feline has been sneezing. Today I noticed she…

Customer Question
My cat, 17 y/o...

My cat, 17 y/o feline has been sneezing. Today I noticed she is not eating well and is having trouble walking. She is observed to be unsteady in her walking and having trouble with her back legs. I have an appointment scheduled for her with her vet for tomorrow morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did your cat have a fall?

Not that I am aware of.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Anubis and she is 17 in human years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Anubis?

She has had upper respiratory infection before. And I treated her for fleas (the first in many years about 2 weeks ago). It had been unseasonably warm here and she had gotten them. She is a completely indoor cat but I do have outdoor cats that I feed.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/27/2017
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Anubis today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Was she eating normally yesterday?

How long has the sneezing been going on?

she was eating okay yesterday. The sneezing has been going on for a few days now but has been more prevalent in the couple days.

The respiratory signs you are describing are suspicious of a viral upper respiratory flare up. Cats can get upper respiratory infections, even if they are indoor cats and their vaccines are current. Most of the time they are viral in nature and herpes virus is one of the most often culprits. Most cats have been exposed to herpes at some time in their lives, and when they are, the virus never leaves their body and stays there in a latent form (kind of like people with cold sores). It can flare up in times of stress, and the stress may not even be perceived by us. When they have a flare up, it is usually only with mild signs, kind of like what you are describing with Anubis.

There are a few other things you can do to help.

1) If she is building up mucus, use a cotton ball moistened with warm water to wipe away crust and mucus. Use saline nasal drops (like Ocean Mist) but not anything medicated. Tilt the head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Cats hate this, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril.

2) Steam treatments to relieve congestion is helpful also. Run a hot shower with the door closed to get the room steamy and then leave them in there for 5-10 min. You can do this a few times a day. It may be that she is not eating well if she is congested and can't smell her food. You can also try warming her food to increase the aroma and that may perk up her appetite.

She may be unsteady if she is getting dehydrated. You can try to increase her fluid intake by offering tuna juice or broth. If she will allow, you can also offer water, small amounts at a time orally via a syringe or eyedropper.

If she seems to be getting weaker, you may want to seek ER services earlier than tomorrow morning, but with some supportive care, as described here, she will likely be OK until your appointment tomorrow.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Thank you. I will try those ideas. I just worry about her.

Looks like we went offline for a bit. I saw your reply but couldn't respond.

Yes, I worry about older cats too! They don't have as much reserve when they get sick and if they decrease their eating and drinking, they stress their already compromised organs. Hopefully if you can get some food and fluids in her tonight and she sees your vet tomorrow, she will perk up.

Good luck with her.

Thank you. I took her in to another vet who does emergency services. I wasn’t comfortable waiting until tomorrow. They are running tests now and told me that her body temp was a little low. They are doing a urinanalysis. I am just worriedly waiting their response.

I am glad they are doing a urinalysis. It is very probably that her kidney values will be elevated, simply due to some degree of loss of function that goes along with age. Some of that will probably be what is referred to as pre-renal due to dehydration. Looking at her urine will be helpful to sort out how much is dehydration and how much is true kidney compromise. It was good that you took her in tonight.

Please keep me posted as to how things progress. I would like to know.

Thank you I will keep you posted. I just want her to be okay.

I get it. Must take care of those seniors!

Absolutely.

I am replying back just so that I can exit the question for now. There is no need to respond now as when you do, it calls me back to this post and prevents me from answering others until I respond to you. When you are ready to report progress, please return back here to do so and I will be alerted.

Anubis is home. She has a UTI and elevated white blood cells in her urine which could indicate further kidney problems but treating the uti first. She has medications, special food for renal, and lots of love. She is resting currently and has drank a little water since coming home. She will have further follow up in a couple days with the vet. Thank you again

I am so glad you took her in. Hopefully all will be back to normal soon. You are welcome.

Hope so! Thanks again!

My pleasure.