Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat seems like he wants to throw up but can't, like dry…

Customer Question
My cat seems like...

My cat seems like he wants to throw up but can't, like dry heaving with a weird involuntary jerk in his throat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Sam and he is 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sam?

He doesn't have any other strange behaviors going on and his eating habits are the same and still playful and affectionate. Also everyone in the house has had the flu recently, could that be it?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/27/2017
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Sam today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

How long has this been going on?

Is he still eating normally? Normal stools?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello and I appreciate all if your help. I started noticing a few days ago and his stools are normal. He is also eating normally and his appetite hasn't changed.

Does he ever bring up hairballs?

Is he making any noise when this happens? Like a cough?

How often is it happening?

Is he sneezing or is there any nasal discharge?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sometimes there are hairballs. He seems to be even more eager to go outside so he can eat grass to make himself get sick.
There is a noise like a cough/dry heaving noise
Maybe very little sneezing, no discharge though.
It happens a few times a day on and off throughout the day
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you there?

Yes, sorry. I didn't see your reply

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's ok

It sounds as if he may be a little nauseous, even though he is still eating. There would be no harm in offering an over the counter antacid like pepcid. You could give 1/2 of a 10 mg tab once a day to see if that helps.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Would tums work? Should I crush it and put it in his food?

It is possible there could be some irritation in his throat from hair, so a dose of the hairball type gel products may help as well. As long as he continues to eat and keep his food down, I am less worried, but if it continues or worsens you should have your vet examine him. It may be helpful to record an episode so your vet will have a better idea what he is doing if it doesn't occur during an exam.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Usually putting pills, even crushed doesn't work as they won't eat the food then if they smell it (and they always do). Pepcid is a better choice and it is small. You may be able to just give him the pill directly or perhaps use a pill pocket

LINK 1

Link 2

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you very much. I appreciate all of your help.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry, one last question. How many days should I give him the pepcid?

I would try it for a few days at least. If these episodes are happening daily, you should be able to tell if it is helping.

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian