Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

After 11 years she's pooping next to her cat box but only at…

Customer Question
After 11 years she's...

After 11 years she's pooping next to her cat box but only at night. She always urinates in the box. I've already tried a smack on her bottom, told her "bad Cat" a few times. Changes her food, changed her cat litter, taken her to her vet but no one has taken any tests. She knows exactly what she's doing. She also has stopped going outside for more than a few minutes on the front porch.. I feel she's trying to tell us something but what????? Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Misty.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Misty?

She's otherwise a very good cat. Gets brushed every day and has the run of the house. We have no other pets.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/27/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Misty is defecating next to the cat box at night. I am sorry to hear about this problem. Can you please tell me what is located next to the litter box that she is using - is there a rug or a carpet there?

No. She's been using the laundry room since she was 7 months old. Washer/Dryer not on at night and the floor is tile. I even tried a night light in case her eyesight was going.

Thank you.

The reasons why cats defecate outside the box are the same differentials as why they might urinate outside the box. Even though she is urinating inside the box and this only occurring at night still leaves us with the same possibilities. Back or hip pain is one primary differential that should be considered. Arthritis affects cats often that are older in age and can be difficult to observe otherwise. Sometimes, cats with arthritis will be reluctant to jump to higher surfaces and will instead choose to lay on the ground or lower ledges. When they do jump to higher places, they will often pull themselves with their front legs instead of jumping with their back legs. That would be one possibility.

Another possible differential is urinary tract pain. Even though this is an issue with defecating outside the box, urinary tract pain can still cause a disruption of behavior. A urine test to evaluate for infection or inflammation should definitely be performed.

Finally, the last common differential is litter box aversion. This is less likely since she is defecating just outside the box, but sometimes cats will be reluctant to use a litter box if they associate stress or anxiety. Therefore, I would caution the use of hitting or saying "bad cat" as that can sometimes make the anxiety worse and increase the frequency of the problem. However, I would suspect the issue to be more related to either back/spine or urinary pain.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Just checking in. Does that answer your question? I am still standing by.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian