Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We have a 18 year old cat that is dropping weight quickly -

Customer Question
We have a 18...

We have a 18 year old cat that is dropping weight quickly - I have switched her to "pate" food because she was throwing up the hard food just shortly after she would eat it - but no matter how much we feed her she continues to act so hungry - she is a strictly indoor cat and I don't find anything alarming in the litter box, any suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

No, this has been going on for several months but nothing but cat food in her diet - not even table scraps of any kind

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Bear

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bear?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/26/2017
Cat Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I would be happy to help you

My cat is doing the exact same thing!

Is Bear drinking more water than usual?
Paul

she might be, recently she has started going in the shower when we are done in there and I have caught her drinking from the toilet lately which is new behavior for her - are you leaning toward feline diabetes?

Yup

I am leaning towards Diabetes or hyperthyroidism

Hopefully it is the latter- super easy to treat

My own cat is drinking from the bathtub, shower and sink

I am taking him in for blood tests and urinalysis

You should do the same and make sure they test the thyroid levels

Okay?

Paul

thank you, ***** ***** your in-put
Robin & Bear

Very welcome

Please update me with the results

I would be happy to review them with you

You can rate me now and I will leave the link open so you can update me and not incur more costs

Paul