Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Bg is 352 after 4 units of prozinc and he is exhibiting

Customer Question
Bg is 352 after...

Bg is 352 after 4 units of prozinc and he is exhibiting neuropathy symptoms in right rear leg. walking on hock

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did Bg have a fall?

No - he is at 352

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bg?

Yesterday bg was 359 and we are continuing with 4 units of prozinc 2x per day

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Can we use vitamin B12, methylcobalamin on him to treat neuropathy? if so, where can I purchase and what is the dosage by weight?
12/26/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your diabetic cat.

It sounds like he may need more insulin; he is not well controlled at 352.

This could be neuropathy, but a more common reason for a cat to walk on the hocks is low potassium, which is seen in diabetic cats. It would be safe to give him 250 micrograms of B12 by weekly injection, or oral pills, but it is more likely he needs potassium.

I would consider having his potassium levels checked; if they are too low he may need to get a potassium injection. You can get oral potassium supplements for cats.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you may have.

I hope you can see my response; I have not heard from you!

You can get Tumil K or Renal K without a prescription.

If this is neuropathy, the potassium and the B12 may not help, but getting his blood sugar down to below 200 by giving more insulin, and feeding a diabetic diet like Glycobalance, may help.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

I did not hear back from you; how is he doing?

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer. Happy New Year!