Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Have a pregnant cat, due any day, and have tapeworm segments…

Customer Question
Hello! Have a...

Hello! Have a pregnant cat, due any day, and have tapeworm segments in bedding/on bed. Everything I have read says it is ok to administer praziquantel to a pregnant or nursing cat, but to check with vet first. Is this ok?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

No thats it. She was brought to our local vet two weeks and we were told she was dewormed, checked out and a-okay, but now seeing segments and would like to get rid of the worm. our local vet is closed today

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/26/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Provided it is just Praziquantel with nothing else added in (ie piperazine), it is safe to use during pregnancy or during lactation. So, that compound itself is fine if she is pregnant. Otherwise, you could use Panacur (Fenbendazole) as that too is safe and can be used on the kittens once they are >2 weeks old (where we can only use Praziquantel once kittens are >1kg in weight).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you! Excellent info. IS there any chance that the kitten fetuses are infected?

You are very welcome,

No, thankfully this would not spread transplacentally but we can see infection if mum is still shedding tapeworm segments when they are born from fecal-oral transmission. Hence why getting mum tapeworm free is ideal. :)

All the best,

Dr. B.

Wonderful, I thought the same, no telling what the little kittens might eat on accident as they are shopping around for teets. Thanks so much. One last thing. Should I subtract any weight considering the kittens inside or is her weight "as is" okay?
for dosage)

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

You should be fine to dose her for her current weight as we don't usually need to subtract for the wee ones with these wormers.

All the best,

Dr. B.

thanks so much happy new year!

You too. :)

Dr. B.

********************************************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.