Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I rescued an older cat who is blind. I’ve kept her inside.

Customer Question
I rescued an older...

I rescued an older cat who is blind . I’ve kept her inside. And she seemed to be litter

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

She is a rescued older cat who can’t see well , does not always use her box .... has. Even made messes very close , always #2 . .i can’t keep her i

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

Ollie is atescuef older cat who is blind and has issues with not always hitting her box ( #2, and it is causing odor issues and frustrations with my boyfriend , because it is his house ) I’ve tried many ways of keeping her inside and safe ,her contained area is on tile in the mud room .

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name?

Ollie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ollie?

She was found half staved . And has bounced back pviducally . She is very vocally loud when she needs attention . She likes to get out in the. Sun in nice weather, and I’m sure that is better for her health

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
I’m at my wits end trying to keep her area clean and odor free if I can’t find a way to do this , I may have to find a shelter for her . She is very sweet . I’d love give her a better life .
12/26/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is her stool normal in consistency?
2) How old is she?
3) What is causing the odor? Is she using the carpet?
4) Can you share a picture of the litter box area and where she tends to go instead?
5) When did the blindness develop?

1 stool seems normal unless I change her food . And Iits been the same for some time
2 the vet thinks at least 10
3 I think the odor is her urine , I clean her box twice a day and use the clumping brand
4 I can try to send a picture soon . My camera has issues
5 the vet said it could be fromwhen she was lost and almost staving and to give her time to see if it returns , but it hasn’t
She wandered out of the woods and I took her in .

A picture would be great. Send along at your convenience. I can also receive a text to my phone for an small additional charge, if needed. Sometimes pictures and video that are large don't load well to the site.

Has she ever used the box appropriately?

Is she peeing outside of the box, as well?

Can you clarify what is malodorous, her body or part of the home due to her misuse of the box?

When did she last have diagnostics like bloodwork, a urinalysis and fecal analysis? do you have copies of those results to share?

She has gone days at a time without having accidents .
Ahout 6 months ago . The vet checked her for lukimia . It was negative
She had a virus and was not eating
And was dehydrated. Seems fine now and had really fluffed up .
I keep her in her area when I’m. At work and at night so she won’t wonderoff
I figure she may be old and just can’t al ate control gervbowells enough to make it
Oops
Maybe she can’t always control her bowels

So, overall, she's actually had quite a bit of difficulty getting to the box and for an extended time period.