Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Is this a free service? I fear that my cat might have a UTI…

Customer Question
Is this a free...

Is this a free service?

Veterinarian's Assistant: JustAnswer requires a modest payment. You'll see the amount on the next page. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

I fear that my cat might have a UTI due to her odd crying after using the litter box. Might there be a home treatment for such a thing? In addition to it being very difficult to bring my cat to the vet (she pees and cries everywhere), it is also very costly

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. How old is Might?

She's about 9

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/26/2017
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Unfortunately, there is really not any treatment that can be recommended for what you are recommending. it is very possible that she doesn't even have a UTI as they are not common in cats of her age and there are other more common causes of urinary tract discomfort. Feline idiopathic cystitis (FIC) is a condition that can present with symptoms very similar to a UTI, but there is no bacteria involved. It is thought to be brought on by stress or anxiety and as such, can present intermittently as flare up. Anxiety in indoor cats is common and can lead to physical and behavior problems. It is thought that environmental enrichment can help prevent flare ups. I am including a link with more information about this condition for your information. LINK HERE

If she is difficult to take in for an exam, perhaps you can start with simply taking in a urine sample of hers to see if there are any abnormalities noted there or consider the possibility of a veterinarian who makes house calls.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z