Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat got attacked by a dog and it almost chewed it's Fri…

Customer Question
My cat got attacked...

My cat got attacked by a dog and it almost chewed it's Fri to leg off. We live in a Remote area and cannot get to a vet until the morning. Can we give Panadol to the cat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Cruiser and she is 17 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cruiser?

Chewed it's front leg off.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/26/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I am very sorry to say but given the significant difference in kitty metabolism to our own, there are no safe anti-inflammatories we can use. And Panadol would actually be the worst thing to give as the Paracetamol in it is very, very toxic to cats (it binds red blood cells to chemically suffocate them, damages the liver and kidneys and can be fatal). Furthermore, Aspirin cannot be used if Cruiser has been wounded as it is a blood thinner and could cause her to bleed more. So, our hands are really tied here since we don't want to make her situation worse. In fact, the only option one may have is if you had Tramadol or Buprenorphine (both prescription but some people do take these medications too). If you do we can discuss doses of those but if you do not then she really needs to be seen even if it means a long trek to a vet in your area (And that would be ideal since she sounds like she is a shock risk and may need IV fluids and the leg removed besides just pain relief). Else you just need to keep her warm (perhaps give her a heating pad, but monitor closely since we don't want to overheat her) and monitor her breathing (normal is 20-30 breaths per minute) and gum color (pink, as pale/white would suggest severe blood loss) until she can be seen. But again we don't want to cause more harm here so please do not give any Panadol.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**