Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I bought a kitten the other day. I use the word bought

Customer Question
Hi I bought a...

Hi I bought a kitten the other day. I use the word bought loosely, however, as it’s slightly a case of I rescued him too. He was living in a barn in a large group of cats, only interacting with humans for a few minutes a couple of times a day. He is already showing more and more typical kitten playfulness and has a real character shining through. He is now really starting to enjoy being stroked and cuddled, even coming to rub against us all and is asking for strokes and to play. We only picked him up on Christmas Eve night, so this is amazing at how well he is adapting! Especially to 4 young children, whom he is really investigating and saying hello to on his terms and those terms are often :-). However he is not understanding the litter box. The place I got him from he was fed food directly off the floor not from a bowl and presumably was doing his business in books and crannies. Am I better off to confine with typical kitten litter training or would I be as well as to mix it up a little with how you might train a feral cat?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the kitten's name?

We haven’t as yet decided on a name for him. The people I got him from were referring to him as ‘runty’ which he wasn’t actually coming to anyway. I’ve had him since late evening on the 24th dec. I was told he was 12 weeks old. Though I saw him trying to go to his mum looking for milk (I will be taking him to the vets after the holiday to be checked over general health etc)

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

I think that’s about it.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/26/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Hello I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. Congrats on the new addition! It is so great that he is doing so well. If he is adjusting that quickly, it will only continue to get better. I am working on a response right now and will be back shortly.
As far as the litter training, it may be difficult for him if there is a lot of activity and things going on around him or if he doesn't have a quiet place to go. I would recommend starting with confining him to a smaller space with 1or 2 boxes. You can even have different types of litter. He should never ever be scared or interrupted in the litter box. Typically if you do these things, they start using a box very quicky. He may just be a little too distracted.
They also make feliway or comfort zone diffusers that can help with anxiety and calming. This might be something to look into that may be helpful.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you had more questions or concerns. I am happy to help.
I will be checking back to my messages in a few hours.
If you are satisfied with my assistance a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated for our time. Even after the rating this conversation will stay open for about a week. Keep me posted.
Sincerely ***** *****
Just wanted to check in with you and see how things are going. Any questions?
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian