Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He's having trouble urinating and is uncomfortable. 10 year…

Customer Question
He's having trouble urinating...

He's having trouble urinating and is uncomfortable

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

10 year old male shorthair cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the cat's name?

Mouse

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mouse?

Mouse is slightly overweight and has had uti's in the past

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/25/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr G, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr G
Dr G, Cat Veterinarian
Hi I’m Dr G and I would like to help you out with Mouse. Poor guy, I’m sorry he isn't feeling well.
When you say he is having trouble urinating, can you tell me more?
Is he able to urinate at all? Are you seeing blood? Is he straining to go?
Has he ever been blocked or unable to urinate before?
Does he eat a special diet?
No, he keeps trying but nothing is coming out
I have him on a wet food diet but there are other cats in the house and he will eat their dry food
If your kitty is unable to urinate at all, this is a true medical emergency. You must get to him to an ER vet right away. Male kitties have a very narrow urethra and crystals, bacteria and debris can combine together and plug up the urethra. This causes the cat to be unable to urinate. Once they cannot urinate, their bladder gets fuller and fuller and will eventually rupture. Also, as the cat is unable to urinate, this stresses their kidneys and leads to acute renal failure and to dangerous electrolyte imbalances.
Do you have an ER vet in your area or does your regular vet have an after hours number?
I wish I had something for you to do at home, but this is really one of those times when only a vet visit where your vet can sedate him and pass a catheter to relieve the blocakage will fix the problem. They will also want to do Bloodwork and probably IV fluids as well.
Dr G
Dr G
Dr G, Cat Veterinarian