Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

2 weeks ago my 3 year old 18lb nurtured male cat Kizzi was…

Customer Question
2 weeks ago my...

2 weeks ago my 3 year old 18lb nurtured male cat Kizzi was vomiting green and not eating much. He had a temperature . the vet dud not do blood work at that time ..could not see an infection in his ears eyes or mouth..he treated the infection ( he said there was one somewhere of the temp) with 8ml of Clavamox daily for 10 days. Brought him back this past Sat bc he was worse. He refused to eat and would only drink from a running faucet. He was urinating but no BM. Blood work showed high sugar..low sodium..low.postasium..low electrolytes..vet said nothing pointed to what could be the problem and put him on .75 ml of entyce and 1 1/2 teaspoons of rena plus daily..he has only gotten worse he will not eat or drink. He has lost 3.5 lbs in 2 weeks..vet is not open till tomorrow but even still she doesn't know what is going on..my heart is breaking for him..any idea of what the problem may be ? Thank you in advance

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

Not to my knowledge. We have no plants in the house . I'm not sure if there was anything he got into

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?

Kizzi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kizzi?

3 year old 15lb ( 2 weeks ago 18lb) nurtured male dsh

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/26/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert replied 7 months ago
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert

Hello, My name is Terri.
It is my pleasure to assist you today!
I am reviewing your question right now and will reply in a few minutes.

Kizzi has hypokalemia due to renal issues.he should also be trsted for diabetes,This can be controlled by diet.

www.catinfo.org

You need to replace his potassium and electrolytes. Get a bottle of plain pedialyte and dropper feed one ml every hour.

Next water down chicken or turkey baby food with no onion powder and feed one tsp an hour for 5 hours.

You can add one quarter tsp of mrs dash salt substitute

next give him one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine). I usually add it to a tablespoon of baby food chicken with no onion or garlic Or canned cat food.Every 12 hours.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.html

Remove all dry food and any wet with chunks, pieces or shreds.

Feed only smooth pate canned food or baby food.

If he gets dehydrated give him tuna water drained from the can.

Please let me know how he is doing .

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Kind regards,

Terri