Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

We have a 7 y/o Female cat. Normally very active, no more…

Customer Question
We have a 7...

We have a 7 y/o Female cat. Normally very active, no more lethargic than any other cat. unk breed. She was fine before I went on shift. Playing with our kitten, then hissing at her when she was done, as usual. My daughter texted me about 36 hrs later that she is not doing anything. She normally sees you and come up to you. Normally she will roll for you just so you notice her, now just very lethargic. I took her vitals, there as follows : HR- 180 RR- 32 Cap refill- <2, lung sounds clear, heart sounds rapid, but consistent. We have not got a temp on her yet. we have no access to a vet for at least the next 2 days. I go back on duty in 2 days. Anything we can be given for info would be appreciated

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?

Tinker. We haven't ruled out pregnancy, but she is primarily an indoor cat. Our kitten is about 6-8mos and she and my 15 y/o male (fixed, an out door mouser, indoors an average of 1 hr a day ust to say hi to me) are asymptomatic. this is after approx. 3 days now

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

Other than she is completely out of character, I cant think of anything off hand. She was completely normal the day I went on duty

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/25/2017
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Tinker today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

That is the problem with cats in that they are so good at hiding their symptoms that by the time they let you know they are not feeling well, they are often sicker than they appear. I would be most suspicious of a metabolic disorder going on such as kidney or liver disease or even pancreatitis. Unfortunately, without blood work being performed, it is very difficult to say. I would be nervous about letting this go on for another 2 days until you have access to a vet, especially if she is not eating. I would advise that if you have any way to seek out ER veterinary services, even if you have to drive a bit to get to it, that would be in her best interest. In the meantime, supportive care to keep her hydrated is really about all you can offer until a thorough physical exam is performed and a diagnosis is made.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ve tried to get a temp off of her multiple times. All we have is an ear thermometer so the readings aren’t right. I know normal is between 101.0-102.5. I’m getting 97.5. The only reason I think she may be hypothermic is because her paws feel about my body temp. My daughter says she will move from place to place very slowly and unsteady. Jumping, more like a semi-controlled fall, off the bed. No trauma that can see or palpate, judging this off reaction to palpating. Was worried about possible sepsis but have no way to treat until Tuesday or Wednesday. Sorry for you to be working on Christmas. I dodged that bullet by 2 days. Thank you for your help
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A phone call won’t help much. We giving supporting care. If I could establish if access I’d still be very cautious as to treat. I do humans not animals. Medic not a dr. ��

If you are receiving an offer for a phone consultation, please note that it is not from me. It is autogenerated by the site. I am not able to offer phone consultations at this time, but would be happy to continue chatting with you here.

Normal body temp in a cat is between 99.5-102.5. A reading of 97.5 would be considered low, but as you said, ear thermometers do not work well in cats. Her ataxia may be due to dehydration. Is she eating and drinking?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have my daughter giving her water with a 3cc pipette. And after she gets a little she’ll “sip” it herself. As far as last I take we haven’t seen her eat. No poop. And I think she tried to make it to the box to pee but laid down in route and peed. Not sure about color. I told my daughter to clean it up next time with white toilet paper first to see any color or blood

If she is not eating, even with fluids given orally, she is still likely dehydrated. The sooner you can have her examined and have bloodwork run, the better.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Will do the best we can. Like I said I I’d still be worried about doing more harm than good if I was able to establish an IV. Well get to a get tomorrow some how. Thank you for your help. I really do appreciate you working on Christmas

You are welcome. Merry Christmas to you.

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian