Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed in June, started on…

I have a diabetic cat...
I have a diabetic cat who was diagnosed in June, started on 1 unit and has been on 2 units of insulin twice a day for the past 3-4 months. Recently I’ve noticed he is drinking and peeing less but I thought it was because his sugar was being regulated better. He ate this morning and when I went to feed him this evening I saw he had vomited several times. A large pile of food which I thought was odd since he hadn’t eaten since this morning and several puddles of bile. He is not eating tonight and I saw some diarrhea in the litter box which he shares with another cat so I can’t be sure it’s his.
I didn’t give him any insulin tonight and I’m very worried about him not eating and it being over the holiday...it will be Tuesday before my own vet is open again. Is it urgent enough to take him to the emergency room or should I wait and see if he eats his breakfast?
12/25/2017
Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

So, correct do not give him any insulin.....it is always the better option to take a diabetic cat in as soon as possible..however if he has no more vomiting tonight and is drinking water and does not act sick then you can probably take him in tomorrow am but I would not wait longer than that...can I answer any other questions for you?

No, I think that’s it. I pretty much knew he should be taken in but wasn’t sure how urgent. I will probably take him tonight anyway. I’m not sure how much he’s drinking but I know He’s been drinking less over the last couple of weeks overall. Thank you.

Let me know if you need any additional help at all....DRB

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Dr B
Dr B, Cat Veterinarian

thank you and let me know if you need any additional help...I check my computer every night..DRB

Great, thank you again and have a happy holiday!

sure thing...

I'm just following up on our conversation about Harry. How is everything going?

Dr B