Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He gets constipated and sometimes a hard ball of fecal

Customer Question
He gets constipated and...

He gets constipated and sometimes a hard ball of fecal matter gets stuck and he cannot relieve himself. Being Christmas Eve, there is nowhere near that I can take him to to get the help he needs. If there are way to help unblock this impacted area.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

San and he is 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about San?

He has this problem occasionally and usually I take him to the vet, they give him and enema and clean it out and his is fine (until the next time).

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/25/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about San.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

Obviously, it may be somewhat of a challenge to help San with this problem but I do have a suggestion if you have someone to help you and if San will cooperate. You can give him a warm water enema at home but it may not be an easy task; if you think you'd like to try, however, the following is what I'd suggest.

Wrap San in a towel so that only his rear end is sticking out. Then, take a small syringe (about 3 ml's) or possibly an eye dropper or something similar. Lubricate the end of it with K/Y or Vaseline or even cooking oil. Gently insert it a small distance into the rectum, if you can, and squirt the warm water into him. It may take several applications if he is badly constipated.

If you can manage to find a pharmacy open tomorrow, then you might purchase a pediatric glycerin suppositories (http://pedia-lax.com/products/liquid-glycerin-suppositories) Read the label closely and only purchase those with glycerin on the label; those with phosphate can kill cats.

Oral laxatives aren't likely to be terribly effective now but to help prevent future episodes, I'd give him daily human, otc Miralaxa at a dose of 1/4-1/2th tsp twice daily...just enough to produce soft stool but not loose ones.

I hope this helps, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb