Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 19 years old and has hyperthyroidism - the vet…

My cat is 19...

My cat is 19 years old and has hyperthyroidism - the vet just changed his methimezole from trans dermal to liquid and upped his doseage. Last night for the very first time, he had a seizure. Could it be from the liquid methimazole?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Am trying to get hold of the vet - it is Christmas Eve and lots of people are not around. My cat's name is Beeks>

12/24/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about this seizure event that your guy had. What is his name? Is he acting normal now? What dose of the methimazole is he getting now?

His name is ***** *****'s 19 an yes, he is acting normal now - ate his breakfast and is snoozing in his favorite spot. The dosage is 1 milligram and he started it this past thursday.
Beeks recently had blood work done and his thyroid numbers were quite high, so he changed the med from transdermal to liquid. Beeks eats a lot and is pretty thin.

I really like that name. The methimazole itself shouldn't have caused any seizure event. It isn't listed as any known complication from its use. The most common side effects from it are stomach upset / vomiting / loss of appetite. I wouldn't feel that the single isolated seizure was tied into its use. It also really doesn't go with hyperthyroidism either. It is good that he's normal now. Could this have been a single isolated seizure that won't have any more? Could it be due to a brain lesion and more may come about? These are the two possibilities here that to know which is the issue would require some imaging of his brain.

Ok - will follow up with his vet and we will take it from there. Thanks much and have a good Christmas.

Until you get back in, I would keep his medications the same and let him rest. If he has more seizures, then a trip to the ER would be best. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! I am hoping for the best for him.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Will do - thanks again and I will rate you at 5 stars.

Give Beeks a little ear scratching for me since I can't. I hope the holidays go well for you, your family, and Beeks!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian