Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

We adopted a cat one week ago. We were told he had a

Customer Question
We adopted a cat...

We adopted a cat one week ago. We were told he had a sensitive stomach and could only eat a certain kind of hard food. He was fine for the first few days, but has had very soft stool for the past two days. What steps should we take?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Odie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Odie?

He is a grey tabby, approximately 12 pounds.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/24/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Is he eating the one food that doesn't give him an upset stomach?

Any vomiting?

Any blood in the stool?

How is his appetite?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is eating the food that we got from the previous owner, which is the food that she said he was fine with. No vomiting. Very little bit of blood in stool last night. Appetite has fluctuated. The first couple of times that he ate in our home he ate the entire bowl in one sitting. Since then he has eaten a bit, stopped, then went back, eventually finishing the bowl

Thanks for the information. Sometimes they can develop some diarrhea if stressed during this transition period, which can last for a couple weeks. As long as he is eating, not vomiting and only has a small amount of blood in the stool; it is not an emergency. If it lasts until Tuesday or gets worse at any time, he really needs to see a vet to make sure nothing more serious is going on. With this type of issue, you can try adding some fiber to the diet. It can be 1/2-1 teaspoon of either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin. That should suffice. You can also go to your local pet store and see if they have a cat probiotic you can add to his food and even see if they have a kaolin/pectin anti-diarrhea medication over the counter. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Odie is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian