Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat was at the vet for three days as he could not pee…

Customer Question
My tom cat was...

My tom cat was at the vet for three days as he could not pee because of a spasm of the urethral sphincter muscle. He had a catheter in and was on a drip and had anesthesia twice. He's been home since wednesday night but has only pooped once, the night he got home. Since then he passed a very small amount of very dry pellets on the floor but that is it. Could it be to do with his medicine, which is 30mg of magnesium once daily, 1 mg of phenoxibenzomine 3 times a day, meloxicam and calmUROfel. He's been given a 2 week antibiotics at the vet's. I am very worried, should I get him to the emergency vet or is it safe to wait till after X-mas and my vet is open again? The cat is an uncastrated 2-year old Scottish Fold. Thanks so much, Sophie

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

He is now peeing frequently in small amounts, still straining to get it through

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/24/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor lad, he sounds to have been thought quite a bit as of late.

Now it does sound like he has a bit of constipation and it could be related to his medications or from the stress of when he was in the hospital. In any case, as long as he hasn't belly pain, is passing urine, nor straining, there are a few home care treatments we can try. To start, you can offer a cup of cow's milk. The lactose in milk can be helpful at increasing gut movement to get stools passed. Another option would be OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) as it works to lubricate the gut to facilitate the movement of gut contents (hard feces in this case) out of the rectum.

If we need a more aggressive treatment, we can also administer a few milliliters of a GI lubricant (ie Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil) orally. These can be mixed into his food. Though if you have to give this via syringe, do so with care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Furthermore, we can also try adding fiber (ie canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil mixed into a bit of canned food) to his diet. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. We offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water). I would also encourage him to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure he has fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth if he isn't drinking well. Of course, if we were to see those other signs I noted or couldn't get feces passing in the next 12-24 hours, then we'd want a check as he may need an enema.

Happy holidays,

Dr. B.

**************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much for your answer!
I will try all options possible for now. The trouble is that we're in Switzerland and everything is shut till Wednesday.
I could cook his squash and I do have a chicken broth. Milk, too.Do you think it's safe to wait for another 48hours? He passed a normal healthy stool the night of Wednesday to Thursday, three small pellets on Thursday day and a very small amount Thursday night. Nothing since then.I can touch his belly, I've massaged it and he purrs when I do that.Thanks so much for your help thus far,Sophie
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
p.s he is straining when he is on the loo, but he doesn't try too often

You are very welcome, Sophie.

I understand, its much the same here in the UK.

Since his belly is comfortable and he isn't excessively in the box trying to go, we can try what you can (add the cooked/mashed squash to canned food or it can be syringe fed directly) to see if we can just give him that "push" to go. But see how he goes over the next 48 hours. If he does start to look uncomfortable and has any of those above mentioned signs (or vomits), then we'd need to consider having him see by the urgent care vet to be safe. But hopefully with the above we can just get things passing as normal for him.

Happy holidays,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much!I'll try all I can for now and will be in touch if we're still in the same situation tomorrow or Tuesday.Merry Christmas!
Sophie

You are very welcome, my dear.

That sounds like a perfect plan of action. :)

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B.

**************************************

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian