Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a 121/2 yr male cat with really bad weakness in his…

Customer Question
I have a 121/2...

I have a 121/2 yr male cat with really bad weakness in his back legs. He started limping on her right rear leg which progressed to both rear legs until he was just using his front legs his legs are not paralyzed, he can and does use them to scratch his ears, etc. his brother had the same symptoms before he died. Neither had been injured that I know of. This one has no signs of illness; he gets around fine and eats like the vacuum he was named for, " Hoover". Is there any way to find out why w/o X-rays? I am elderly, somewhat disabled, can'drive and have limited money (fixed income) , but I love him dearly. Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did For have a fall?

Not that I know of and his litter-mate brother went thru the same

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about For?

No, he eats like ashore, gets around when he wants to and doesn't seem to have any pain

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/24/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs replied 2 months ago
Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

Hello, again.

I'm so sorry Hoover is experiencing this problem with his hind legs. There are two causes that come to mind when an older cat develops these symptoms. One is diabetes. Diabetic neuropathy is a side effect of diabetes in cats and causes the hind legs to become weakened. A blood test at the vet (or you can have a mobile vet come to YOU) would answer a lot of questions about his condition.

Another cause of hind leg weakness and which may have claimed his brother's life (my condolences on your loss), is a cardiac problem called feline cardiomyopathy. This can cause a blood clot to break off and travel down the main artery leading to the hind legs, decreasing circulation and causing weakness and sometimes, paralysis and pain. Here is more information on both conditions:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_diabetes.cfm

-------------

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/health_information/cardiomyopathy.cfm

-------------

I fully understand your financial bind, but there are alternative ways you could pay for the vet visit and/or tests. First, you can apply for Care Credit; this is a credit card used for health conditions, including veterinary. Read more about it, here:

https://www.carecredit.com/vetmed

-------------

Also, if you have a VCA medical clinic nearby, they offer a coupon for a free first visit, so if someone can help you bring Hoover in for an evaluation, the exam won't cost you anything:

https://vcahospitals.com/free-pet-exam

------------

To find a mobile vet who makes housecalls in your area, put in your zipcode at this site:

http://www.vetlocator.com/housecallvets.php

-------------

I hope you found this information helpful and all will be well with Hoover!

At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Best wishes and Happy Holidays,

Cher

Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs replied 1 month ago

Hello again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your kitty. My primary goal is always to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful? If so, please let me know and rate my answer positively (5 stars), as this is the only way I receive compensation for my assistance.

Thank you very much and Happy New Year!

Cher

Cher
Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs