Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My sister just adopted two kittens yesterday, a 9 and 7

Customer Question
My sister just adopted...

My sister just adopted two kittens yesterday, a 9 and 7 month old cats from 2 different litters from an adoption agency. The little 7 month old appears to have a respiratory bug but isn’t being deterred from food or water or love. The 9 month old however this afternoon has had some diarrhea and now it appears to be oozing out of his rectum. What can we do to help him. He is coming for love but appears not to be as hungry today. Is it stress to the new environment

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the kitten's name?

The female 7 month old is named Patti and the 9 month old is named Bruce

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?

They both were rescued from an adoption place I previously rescued my cat from. One of the kittens in the shelter had some diarrhea yesterday but was separated from the cat that currently has it. There were some cats sneezing there as well yesterday

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/23/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Respiratory viruses in adopted kittens are really common. The tough thing about these infections is that these kittens can get much worse before they get better and some require antibiotics to treat the secondary bacterial infections that almost all of them seem to get within 24-48 hours of first showing symptoms.

The agents of feline upper respiratory infection are highly contagious and present where ever cats live in groups. Getting infected is easy; a cat simply must socialize with an infected cat or share the same human caretaker, toys or food bowls. It would seem that the average house cat would be at low risk for infection; however, it is important to realize how common upper respiratory infection is. In some areas, the infection rate is felt to be 60 percent or more. This means that there is an excellent chance that any cat or kitten is already infected at the time of adoption regardless of whether the cat is showing any symptoms. Kittens are predisposed due to their immature immune systems, and are usually hit the hardest. When these kittens grow up, they are still infected and symptoms may come out whenever stress suppresses their immune system.

Typically, infected cats come from the shelter, are outdoor cats, or are housed in close contact with lots of other cats (experiencing crowding stress). Persian cats are predisposed to upper respiratory infection due to their inherent facial flattening. The average house cat who is not exposed to any rescued kittens, lives with only one or two other cats at most, never goes outside, and leads a non-stressed life is unlikely break with symptoms but may very well be asymptomatically infected.

The chief infectious agents that cause feline upper respiratory infections are herpesvirus and calicivirus, together accounting for about 90 percent of infections. Other agents include: Chlamydophila, Mycoplasma, Bordetella, and others. Of course, a cat or kitten may be infected with more than one agent.

Viruses are spread by the wet sneezes of infected or carrier individuals. The herpesvirus is fragile, surviving only 18 hours outside its host; calicivirus is tougher, lasting up to 30 days. Bleach will readily inactivate either virus but calicivirus is able to withstand unbleached laundry detergents.

The diarrhea in your older kitten can be due to intestinal parasites, like coccidia. Coccidia sometimes does not show on fecal tests until the kittens are in their new homes and the stress acclimating to a new environment gives the parasite a leg up on the immune system.

Cats are olfactor eaters so you may need to get some really smelly wet food to get Bruce eating.

Does the adoption agency you used have a veterinarian on staff so we can these guys treated?

You can try some feline probiotics. Walmart sometimes carries Feline Fortiflora. A feline probiotic mixed into food once a day. Can help with stress diarrhea.

You can also start them on lysine supplements to help boost their immune system and try and help them clear the infections faster. This is also sold over the counter at Petsmart.

You can also try this from petsmart and see if it helps Bruce get over the diarrhea

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/dental-care-and-wellness/vitamins-and-supplements/only-natural-pet-diarrhea-and-gas-homeopathic-remedy-34275.html​

If Bruce continues to not want to eat by tomorrow we may need to get him seen by a veterinarian so we can get this treated so he doesn't get dehydrated which can make everything worse.

Good luck with your kittens. If the adoption agency has a veterinarian I would call them now and see about getting these two some medications to help them feel better. Heading into a Holiday weekend I do not you guys to end up having to take them to an emergency clinic.

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Cat Veterinarian