Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I found my neighbors cat sitting on my cinderblock

Customer Question
I found my neighbors...

I found my neighbors cat sitting on my cinderblock wall/fence with what certainly looks like a broken lower front arm. She is semi ferral, well fed and healthy to this point and can still run like always with 3 feet. I tried to catch her twice and she got away. she's nowe hiding but I suspect shell have to come out for food at some point. what's the best game plan?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Tiger, grayish tabby 9months approx.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tiger?

She's basically ferrel. She lets one or two people touch her only on the hind quarters

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
what's the service offer? whatever it takes ...proceed
12/23/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Thank you for trying to help this cat. I just came online and saw your question; I am sorry you did not get an answer before now.

I can't make calls for the website, but I can answer questions here if you want to continue with me.

of course. Ive been waiting for houirs. I'm just glad she isn't actually dying, at kleast not yet.. She showed up at about 2:00 yesterday afternoon. She was clearly looking for help but as a semi ferrel she refused to let me handle her

So she is walking, but on three legs? For how long?

The only way to see what is wrong, and see if she needs medication or treatment, would be to examine her. This sounds like it may be difficult.

You can train her to go into a carrier, but this takes about a week, in my experience with feral cats. You put out a carrier near your house, with food in it. Don't move it or close it. Put a blanket or towel in it. Believe it or not, and I have done this many times, she will start to go in and out of it.

The day you want to take her to the vet, you feed her, she goes in, but now you close the door. If you get her to a vet in a carrier, they can sedate and examine her.

There are no safe over the counter pain medication for cats, even if you could get anything into her.

like I said in the original she's healthy and just as fast yesterday afternoon as with four legs. In total hoursmaybe 16 hours but she's hiding most of thart time. Whats your best solution or tact to capture her?

You could call animal control, if you have a shelter that treats and spays and released feral cats.

oh thats great thank you I'll try that.

Animal control or a shelter may lend you a live trap. You put food in it, and a blanket over it, and when she goes in, she is trapped. Again, if you take her to a veterinarian they can sedate her.

You are welcome!

Please let me know how she is doing.

Kindly consider rating my answer, to notify the website I am assisting you. You can still get back to me with updates after rating! Good luck!