Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I rescued a puppy that was diagnosed with Distemper. She had…

Customer Question
I rescued a puppy that...
I rescued a puppy that was diagnosed with Distemper. She had a cough, lots of nose & eye discharge and was not eating well. She did not have neurological signs. She had a positive PCR test. She was prescribed Clavamox & Doxycycline for 2 weeks. She is now back to her regular self without any symptoms. Is it safe to say that she has beat the virus?Also, her sister had the same symptoms and progressed to the neurological stage & passed away.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/22/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Regretfully, no, we can't make that assumption. Distemper is considered biphasic; in other words, recovery from systemic signs of the disease may precede development of neurologic signs weeks to months later. Keep up the good work and hope for the best. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

at what point would I be able to consider this dog safe?

In most cases if no neurologic signs appear within 3 months of her "normalizing" her prognosis for a full recovery is good. I have had patients develop seizures, however, years after overt distemper, and so I tell caretakers that their dog is really never completely out of the woods. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Emily,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian