Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Her tail is down and she isn’t her regular self. I found…

Customer Question
Her tail is down...

Her tail is down and she isn’t her regular self. I found some hard poop in her fur underneath and removed it which of course made her upset. She doesn’t seem to be doing much but moving to different spots and curling up a lot.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Bella and she’s 5.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bella?

Shes normally very vocal and has been extremely quiet. Normally eats a lot doesn’t seem to be doing much of that.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/22/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Christina, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Cat Veterinarian

Hello and welcome! I am Dr. Christina, a licensed veterinarian, here to help answer your questions today. I see that you are inquiring about how quiet Bella is being and the small poop you found on her fur, is that correct?

I am glad you are here. You mentioned her appetite has been a little lower too. How long has that been going on for?

Jus5 a day or. Two

Has she had any vomiting? or soft stool outside that you've noticed?

None
Could she be constipated.

She could be. When was the last time you saw her defecate? Have you seen her straining at all?

Has she had any new treats or foods recently?

I haven’t seen her straining but her litter box is downstairs. I cleaned it out and nothing out of ordinary. We have had her on a different cat food from Costco but that’s been a months worth of feedings.

I doubt it's the food that far in. With cat's they can be tricky. It could be the beginning signs of something more serious going on, like liver or kidney issues; it could be constipation; it could even be underlying intestinal disease. The good news is that she is still eating a little bit and is not vomiting. This means that whatever is going on, you have caught it early.

Do you have a vet who is open today?

I think so.

If you can, I would try to call and see if they can see her before they close for the holidays. This way if she needs an enema or other medications to help, she can be on her way to getting better.

It is hard for me to say definitively whether she is constipated or not. But if you are continuously not seeing stool in the litter box, she may be. You should see one stool per day. You can try to give her miralax. You can get this over the counter. You put 1/4 teaspoon in the food twice a day. But she also needs to eat it. This may help to move things along if she's not defecating.

Can I answer anything else for you?

Let me know if you need anything else. I will be around most of the day.

*********************************************************************************

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service (using the STARS) once you have all the information you need so I can continue to help others on this site. You are still able to ask me questions even after you rate. Thank you!

Happy holidays!

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Christina, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Christina