Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I had my dogs medication in the pill pockets on the table…

Customer Question
I had my dogs...

I had my dogs medication in the pill pockets on the table and now it is gone. I am afraid one or both of my cats ate it. It was 20mg of fluoxetine and .75 mg of alprazolam

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

They are 6 year old healthy cats. right now showing no reaction. they weigh about 10-12 lbs

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/22/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Both of those drugs are administered to cats safely. The dose of fluoxetine would be a high one likely to cause behavioral changes (anxiety, irritability, sleep disturbances) while the dose of alprazolam would also be a high one likely to cause sedation, increased appetite, as well as the same behavioral changes. Are you seeing any signs of ingestion of these drugs at this time?

no. I left them out over an hour ago, but only realized they were missing about 20 minutes ago. They could have gotten to them any time in between then.
are you still there? I am getting a message to pay more to swtich to a phone call can we just continue this way?

I don't believe that inducing emesis or treating in any manner is needed. Your cats would remain safe albeit possibly demonstrating the signs I mentioned above. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you. Is there anything to be on the look out for? Any symptoms that would require rushing them to the vet?
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

Nothing of that nature should arise. There are no studies concerning the two drugs being on board at the same time but I would expect sedation and perhaps ataxia ("drunken sailor") at those doses. Life-threatening respiratory or cardiovascular depression isn't expected.

thank you

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian