Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My year and a half old rabbit has discharge coming from his…

Customer Question
My year and...

My year and a half old rabbit has discharge coming from his nose and has not eaten in the last two days? He's kind of hobbling around as well ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the rabbit will be able to digest that. What is the rabbit's name?

His name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buster?

He plays with two outdoor cats almost every day. He's been an outside bunny all through the summer but it's been starting to freeze so I put him in a portable cage inside

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/22/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years with interest in small exotics.

I have to be honest Buster is in trouble not eating. Not eating can lead to a GI Stasis where the gut stops working. A Rabbit in GI stasis has to be helped quickly or he will Die: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

You will need to start force Feeding. Grind the pellets up and mix with Pedialyte and start feeding via syringe. YOu can also give Pedialyte via syringe for Fluids.

You can start a manual abdominal massage to help keep the Gut going. Lastly you can give Infant Simethicone drops to help with gas. The Simethicone instructions are in the link I have posted above. The Force feeding is just a first aid measure until you can get into a Vet. I suggest a Vet visit as soon as possible because Buster is in serious trouble not eating.

THis is a link for Rabbit Vets by state: http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

The Vet can address the hobbling and runny nose. The fist issue is getting food going in and the stomach working.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

How is the rabbit doing today? Did you have the Rabbit seen by a Vet?

Joan