Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have an 8 week old kitten being treated for megacolon with…

Customer Question
I have an 8...

I have an 8 week old kitten being treated for megacolon with cisapride 1.25 mg twice a day. The only problem is that he has constant diarrhea now, like it does not stop ever. His little bottom is so sore and painful to the touch. He cannot close or control his little rectum and when he tries to poop in the litter box he can't. My regular vet doesn't have any other ideas. He is super small for his age and under his fur he is all bone, except his huge belly. I believe he has already been deformed with strongid-T. I really want to be able to keep him but I'm not sure if I can do it he poops all over my apartment.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the kitten's name?

Wesley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Wesley?

I have already gotten diapers but they are very expensive and too big. I am trying to feed him some pumpkin now

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/22/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me more about what you've witnessed with him since he came to you?

How long have you owned him?

What food is being fed at this time?

What diagnostics were performed to diagnose the megacolon?

What diagnostics have been performed on the diarrhea?

Has your veterinarian modified the dosage of Cisapride thus far?

He has been home with me for about a week now. I feed him Purina fancy feast canned mixed with some iams kitten kibble and about 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin 2-3 times a day. At first he had diarrhea all the time but over the last 2 days it has started to firm up a little bit. Now when he needs to poop I know because he can't on his own and he gets all swollen so I gently massage the feces out under some running warm water. Seems to do the trick. The veterinarian hasn't given him a definite diagnosis of megacolon per say (he was a homeless kitten that was going to be put down but his wife said we'd take care of him) I am a technician who works for them and is adopting him. We've been trying visualise 1.25mg twice daily because metoclopiramide was not helping. We havs done enemas on him but because of his tiny size I think they did more harm than good to his little rectum. When I feel his little belly I think I can palpate hard, large, pieces of feces around in his abdomen.
That was Cisapride 1.2mg not visualize haha.

Thank you for the additional information.

What diagnostics were performed? Has he had any x-rays? A fecal analysis? PCR panel?

None of those diagnostics have been performed yet. The dose has not been changed

And, to clarify, what symptoms did you witness to start? It sounds like diarrhea but megacolon is usually characterized by hard, dry stools.

When he first started treatment a few weeks ago it was hard stool he couldnt push put then once he was put on Cisapride it became more uncontrolled diarrhea. Now that I have been giving him pumpkin he seems to have stopped the dairrhea but he's kinda blocked up again. The last 3 times ive tried to assist poop him, I have been unsuccessful.

Thank you for this additional information.

The first thing I would recommend doing is a fecal analysis to determine if there are any additional concerns that are complicating his situation. If you find nothing there a diarrhea PCR panel would be wise to ensure you're not dealing with an ailment like giardia, tritrichomonas, etc. It may help to add probiotics to the regimen. X-rays would also be useful in determining if he actually has megacolon. If he was on the street before coming to you he may have eaten something that caused dry, hard fecal material and the cisapride may be exacerbating the diarrhea. I do want to mention that it will be very difficult for him to become blocked within a few hours if he's producing diarrhea as his bowels should be cleared out with all the liquid stool. This would be the perfect time to have x-rays taken if you believe he's blocking up with stool as it should show distended bowels. At home, I would keep up the cisapride and cut the pumpkin back by half to see if this produces softer stool but not altogether runny or hard (aiming for halfway in the middle). In the near future, if he's having uncontrollable diarrhea with lack of anal tone, reducing the cisapride dosage may help as well as playing with the amount and types of fiber added in to his diet. If he does not do well with pumpkin (becomes too firm) your vet may want to add lactulose to the mix or even have you use a small dose of laxatone daily, mineral oil or even a small amount of milk as these all have a tendency to mildly soften stool without causing diarrhea. In short, if he has megacolon and is prone to diarrhea with cisapride, you may wind up having to play with the cisapride dosage, the addition of laxatives and fiber, as well.

Checking in. How is Wesley today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy