Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is not well. Last couple of days, he has had

Customer Question
My cat is not...

My cat is not well. Last couple of days, he has had difficulty evacuating, and as of today, is visibly sick. He won't move, only will stay in one place. What is your opinion on his condition?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** 6 and 1/2.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mitsey?

He is normally a healthy cat - very active and happy. This is very unusual, that is, sick and immobile. He was sick like this once before, about three years ago, and that resulted from his eating a contaminated mouse. He has been an indoor cat mostly since then, and never sick up until now.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/21/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 4 months ago
Amber Hinson

So sorry to hear that Mitsey is not feeling well. I'm Dr. Hinson and I'd like to help you with your question.

Can you tell me if you have changed his diet recently? Any new treats?

Is Mitsey a Manx cat by any chance?

Is he urinating?

His diet has been pretty consistent - dry and wet food mostly. No, it hasn't changed in any major way.
He is not a Manx, a mixed color tabby. He is urinating, yes.
Are you still there? I'd like to complete this conversation.
Cat Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 4 months ago

I am helping multiple people so please be patient.....

Is he going to litter box frequently and straining to defecate or is he just not trying at all?

What brand is the diet?

Yesterday he was in the litter box a lot - just sitting in there, trying to defecate but having difficulty. He is a dry food called Temptations, as well as a Fancy Feast variety of wet food. He also eats Fancy Feast dried foods.
Cat Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 4 months ago

Ok. Thanks for the response.

It sounds like he is constipated. What the underlying cause is, I do not know. Constipation could be a one time problem or it could be part of a more significant issue called obstipation or megacolon.

If this is the first bout of constipation I would not get too overly concerned. I suggest you try feeding some high fiber like canned pumpkin if he will eat it. If not, you can try mixing powdered Miralax into some his regular canned food. iI would also give him a stool softener for the next few days. If you give me a moment I can get you some doses.

please do give the doses. Also, what kind of stool softener do you recommend? By the way, he has had constipation on and off for a couple of months now.
Also, as of today, he isn't eating anything and looks very sick.
Cat Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 4 months ago

So sorry, I meant Metamucil for the fiber: 1-4 tsp per meal; same dose for the pumpkin

Miralax is another laxative and stool softener. Mix 1/4 tsp once a day with wet food.

If he is looking sick you should take him to your vet for an exam. He needs to be able to eat to get the stool softener and fiber into him. With constipation they are often dehydrated so he may need some fluids either subcutaneously or intravenously to correct this.

Cat Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 4 months ago

Your vet can also give him an enema that will likely help.

To be sure, Metamucil and Miralax are the human variety, yes? And they can used for a cat?
Cat Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 4 months ago

Yes. They can be used for cats. Used the unflavored varieties.

I am not optimistic that this will help if he is that sick. He may be over the hump of where home treatment will help. If you try this and he doesn't seem better in 24 hours (at least a little bit) then you need get him to your vet ASAP.

OK, this is good advice - thank you.
Cat Veterinarian: Amber Hinson,
 replied 4 months ago

I would recommend giving him canned food only until he is back to normal. He needs that extra water that is in the canned food.

You are welcome. Please let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian