Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Our cat -- about 5 years old -- did something we never saw…

Customer Question
Our cat -- about...

Our cat -- about 5 years old -- did something we never saw before. She sat on her hind legs with her nose extended high in the air. Then she started walking around very erect with her nose high in the air? She did this for several minutes, as though she was smelling trouble or worried about a smell in the house.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did the cat have a fall?

Not that we're aware of. It's mostly a housecat, with a litter box indoors. She's skittish of snow shedding off the roof, earthquakes (we live in Alaska and have many minor temblors) and a pile-driver that's working in our harbor. But she usually just runs for cover when the earth shakes. Never seen this behavior before.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

She's got a kind of broken (bent) tail. My wife thinks she's a Manx, though I think she's just a black cat with a broken tail. There's a roaming bad cat in the neighborhood she sometimes gets upset with out the window. We have a big house but only 2 adults in it. No kids. It's a pretty clean house. Not too many weird smells.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are concerned about your cat. It does sound like she got a whiff of something that was interesting or concerning to her. Cats have a sense of smell way better than we do, so even if you did not smell anything, it sound like she did. It may well have been coming from outside.

I don't think there is anything wrong with her, but just watch to be sure she is eating and drinking normally.

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions you may have.

Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 6 months ago

I did not hear from you; how is she doing?

Kindly consider rating my answer, to notify the website that I am assisting you! You can always get back to me with more questions, and updates, after rating.