Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, she was put…

Hi, my cat was...

Hi, my cat was just diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, she was put on 10mg Methimazole daily on the 7th and has rapidly lost her appetite, she hasn't eaten at all for the last two days and is losing weight. I've tried baby food, goat milk anything but she won't eat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Tomie.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tomie?

No, just that she was eating until the medication and now seems to vomit what little she eats.

12/20/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about this situation with your little one Tomie. Methimazole is a medication that when started up can have side effects like decreased appetite and vomiting. In cases that aren't tolerating the medication well, it is something that typically is handled by decreasing the dose and giving them time to get used to it prior to increasing it. You should call your vet to let them know what is going on with her. More than likely they will come up with a plan and it might mean going to 2.5 mg of the methimazole once a day for a week or so and then going to 2.5 mg twice a day to get her more used to it. They need to be contacted though so they can review their records to see if anything else needs to be done.

I'll have to wait for a call back from the vet. Any suggestions to get her eating, or certain foods/liquids? She's always been a very small cat and now she's very thin.

With one that isn't eating well, using some boiled chunk chicken slightly warmed up or some of the Gerber turkey or chicken baby food slightly warmed up too is very tempting for them.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Actually, she got worse and spent the last few days in the animal hospital. She has chronic kidney disease, which they said was unmasked by treating her with the hyper-thyroid medicine. She's on subdermal fluids and I'll be taking her in Tuesday to recheck her labs. Thanks for following up.

Shoot. That is something that can be masked by the hyperthyroidism. When they are hyperthyroid, they can have increased renal blood flow and that masks the renal issues. When the hyperthyroidism is treated, then the kidneys don't get the same blood flow and they can start to have their kidney values increase. I'm hoping that she responds well to her current therapy. The subnormal fluids are good for treating the chronic renal disease.