Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is 18 years old (human years). She is terribly thin

Customer Question
She is 18 years...

She is 18 years old (human years). She is terribly thin (skin over bones) yet she eats all the time. She can no longer "meow", is very hyper. She has trouble with her balance and seems to be in pain. Is this old age or does she have a serious problem? This has been going on for some time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Mama Kitty

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mama?

She comes from a litter of 4....she's the only surviving kitty

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Mama Kitty.

The most common reason for an older cat to be this thin yet still be eating is hyperthyroidism. This is a treatable condition, but untreated will eventually cause death.

Inflammatory bowel disease is another reason for a cat to lose weight while still eating, and many cats with IBD respond to diet change, and anti inflammatory medication.

This is not just old age; something is wrong and it may be that with treatment she will put some weight back on.

I would have her tested for hyperthyroidism at your veterinarian; it is a simple blood test.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer and if this is helpful.

I hope you are able to see my answer!

Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I did not hear from you. How is she doing? Please let me know if this was helpful.