Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I will be going to a Christmas party on Saturday and I

Customer Question
I will be going...

I will be going to a Christmas party on Saturday and I usually give my cat is shot at 7:00PM, but I am not sure I will be home in time. Would it be ok if I gave it to him later?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?

He is diabetic.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry your cat has that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

His name is***** and he is 12 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Johny?

No I don't think so. He does see a regular Vet, but since I was at work I thought I would check your web site.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/19/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for planning ahead in this situation for Johny Gato. That shows how responsible you are as a pet owner. I appreciate that! In a situation like this, if a dose of insulin is going to be later than normal, more than likely if it is going to be an hour or two later, it isn't going to be a big deal at all. If it is going to be later than that, what may be done is to reduce the insulin dose a unit or two and then go to the normal dosing in the am of the next day. Just to give you some comfort here, if you think about it, he wasn't dosed with any insulin for weeks to months most likely prior to his diagnosis. For him to get a lower dose or to even miss a single dose, that wouldn't be a bad problem every once in a while.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?