Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Guinea Pig. His skin is in a terrible condition. On the back…

Customer Question
His skin is in...

His skin is in a terrible condition.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the guinea pig seem to hurt?

On the back and he has hair lose

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the guinea pig's name and age?

Charlie he is 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Charlie?

On the past he has suffered from mites like 4 months ago

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/20/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The skin lesions don't look like mites this time around nor do they look like dermatophytosis (fungal infection). My primary concerns are neoplasia. I can't get a good look at the lesion on his rump but that's where I'll find the most common skin tumor of guinea pigs - trichofolliculoma. The ulcerated skin lesions more cranial (toward his head) may represent another skin cancer - lymphoma - perhaps the most common malignancy which may appear in the skin. I'm sorry I can't be more definitive for you. The hair around these skin lesions needs to be shaved away to better assess the extent and type of these skin lesions. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

your diagnosis is that my guinea pig might have cancer or a tumor disease?

Yes, skin cancer is an important differential. I can't make the diagnosis from here, however, nor am I allowed to do so. A trichofolliculoma is benign and an incidental finding. Lymphoma, however, in guinea pigs is malignant and life-threatening. His vet will want skin scrape and fungal culture hairs around these lesions but skin biopsy would be necessary for confirmation of a cancer. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

What's the treatment if the cancer test gives positive?

Regretfully, none. People might receive chemo but not guinea pigs.

I understand, thanks.
What causes this disease ?

We don't know the cause of most skin cancers. I would consider a skin cancer in a 4 year old to be age-related and a genetic skin fault.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian