Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has a tumor behind his eye. My regular vet thought he…

Customer Question
My cat has a...

My cat has a tumor behind his eye. My regular vet thought he had glaucoma and referred me to the veterinary opthalmologist, who was able to see the tumor. Cat is 13, male, domestic short hair, has been healthy apart from this. Opthalmologist said he was above 90% certain this is a tumor and not infection etc. He said if it were his cat, he would not opt for anesthesia/CT scan/biopsy/surgery/radiation because the prognosis is poor anyway and this would be a lot to put the cat through. So we are opting for palliative care. My regular vet put him on Prednisolone 5 mg 1xday. My issue is that kitty also has an ulcer on his cornea in the eye with the tumor, caused by the tumor pushing on his eye I guess?? and I can't give him eye drops because he will not let me get anywhere near his face. He is eating and sitting in laps etc. but the eye appears painful/uncomfortable. Regular vet gave him a convenia shot for the eye. Should I continue convenia? Antibiotics plus steroids - is this an issue? Is there anything else I can do for the eye itself to make him comfortable?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?

Lior

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lior?

He also has a lump on his gum. Vet is not sure if this is related/another tumor/etc

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/19/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am so sorry to hear that Lior has this tumor.

Injectable antibiotics such as Convenia are not likely going to help the ulcer on his cornea. The tumor is probably pushing the eye forward, so when he blinks, his eyelids can't cover his eye any longer. If you can't put drops in his eye, this will probably not heal.

You could have his eye taken out if the cornea is causing him pain. You could also try pain medication such as buprenorphine. It can be given as an injection every three days.

You could have FNA done on the lump on his gum to see what it is. Your veterinarian would put a needle in the lump, to get cells to look at under a microscope.

I don't want to put him through surgeries and procedures since the vet said he may only have a short time left, and if the tumor is that invasive in his head, there is not much they can do anyway. I guess I am trying to find the best solution for his comfort, and not sure what that is. If I knew he had six months to a year, I would possibly have them remove the eye, as that would seem worth it - but not if he has weeks. Not sure what to do.

I can certainly understand not wanting to do surgery.

Sorry I was offline for awhile.

I would ask your veterinarian about the 3 day buprenorphine injection and see if that helps.

Please let me know if this is helpful or if I can answer any other of your questions, and how he is doing.

I have not heard back from you. How is Lior doing?