Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is 15 years old and has had rapid weight loss paired…

Customer Question
My cat is 15...

My cat is 15 years old and has had rapid weight loss paired with lack of appetite. he has also started dragging his back legs. he seems lethargic and a bit drunk when he tries to walk. no food i put in front of him seems to be appealing. he had a steroid shot a few weeks ago and started exhibiting the other symptoms about a week and a half after shot. any thoughts?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name?

Caesar

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Caesar?

He has issues with intermittent vomiting on and off for about 2 years.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/19/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that this is all going on with Ceasar. I'm going to be very honest here and say that with an older cat that has rapid weight loss, there are 4 main initial rule outs. Diabetes, hyperthyroidism, chronic renal disease, and cancer are the big 4 rule outs. With that history though with the steroid shot, some can develop diabetes after receiving it. The longer acting steroid injection called DepoMedrol can cause diabetes in a very few cats. The thing that doesn't fit is that if this was the first injection and it happening that quick. I'd be curious as to why the steroid shot was given in the first place.

he had been having having lot of issues with skin allergies and had been given a shot every few months to help with that.

Ah! If he's had multiple shots of this steroid in the past, then the diabetes developing would be much higher in concern. Your vet can screen for this very easily with some blood and urine tests. If Caesar is now diabetic, they can start up therapy for this.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian