Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Frequent coughing, hacking... Patches. 5. Patches. She's…

Customer Question
Frequent coughing, hacking... Veterinarian's...

Frequent coughing, hacking...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the cat's name and age?

Patches. 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Patches

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Patches?

She's overweight..But no labored breathing

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/19/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any nasal discharge?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

Started Saturday with a hairball..no discharge..now it's frequent hacking. She's overweight

1- So she did pass a hairball on Saturday, correct?

2- Do you have her on hairball medication?

I do

Friend, hacking/coughing can be caused by many different medical conditions. Certainly, hairballs is a very common cause in cats. But, if she is on hairball medication and you saw her pass a hairball we have to rule out other causes. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing. But, common causes are an infection, ingestion of a foreign body, heart or lung disease, etc. to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. Strongly recommend having her checked as soon as you can; it is important to rule out an underlying heart or lung disease. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can recommend over the counter that will have any significant therapeutic benefit, in this case, I am sorry. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian