Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Very stuffed up nose... breathing out of mouth, not eating…

Customer Question
Very stuffed up nose.....

Very stuffed up nose... breathing out of mouth, not eating or drinking much

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

DeeOhGee

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is DeeOhGee?

About 1yr.... Shelter cat Female Main Coon Mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about DeeOhGee?

Lost quit a bit a weight, started noticing not using the liter box Friday

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/18/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. With the symptoms you are describing, it sounds like she is experiencing an upper respiratory infection and some secondary nasal congestion, but of course I can't completely rule out the possibility of a nasal mass or a nasal polyp by that description alone. I would recommend giving some Benadryl (1mg/lb) every 12 hours to help with the congestion. I would also recommend taking her into the bathroom for 10 minutes twice a day with the shower running to let the steam break up some of that mucous so she can clear it easier. I would offer her wet food, as well as some tuna juice and chicken baby food for a week because it will be easier for her to smell and she'll want to eat more of it. I would also make sure to take the lid off of the litterbox if it isn't already because sometimes it will be hare for them to breathe with the lid on and can contribute to them not wanting to go in the box.
Congestion is gone, but will not eat!
I'm glad to hear the congestion is gone. I would recommend blending some wet food mixed in with some low sodium chicken broth and syringe feeding her 3 cc every 3 to 4 hours or so to see if you can get her appetite up some. If that doesn't work, you might need to take her in to see the vet and get her on an appetite stimulant.
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian