Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Micki, I have a cat that ate some of the flocking off my…

Customer Question
Hi Micki, I have...

Hi Micki, I have a cat that ate some of the flocking off my Christmas Tree and immediately threw up, but nothing came out so I can only assume that the flocking is still inside my cat. That was 2 days ago and he is not eating now or drinking either. He has been throwing up fo***** ***** stuff that looks like foamy spit. He has thrown up 4 or 5 times. I plan on taking him to my vet tomorrow but is there anything that I can do now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Max is my cats name

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?

No, this is my concern now.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

ok

I am very sorry to hear about Max vomiting repeatedly after eating flocking off your Christmas tree, and I believe that you should be very concerned, especially as he may be becoming dehydrated after vomiting repeatedly.

Because he hasn't eaten for 2 days and may be getting dehydrated I am very concerned about him. As his liver breaks down fats for energy to live it may become overwhelmed and unable to function normally and he may develop a type of liver disease called hepatic lipidosis. That is a secondary disease process that generally occurs after several (more than 3-4 days) days of not eating, but it can be deadly.

Vomiting can be related to chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, heartworm disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease, diabetes), hyperthyroidism, a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction, an abdominal tumor, or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

In his case given his history an obstruction is probably the cause of his vomiting.

If he's a bit older then we cannot be sure he didn't eat the flocking because he felt nauseous so I would recommend checking some bloodwork to start, a complete blood count, biochemistry profile and T-4 to make sure there is nothing else underlying this.

Depending upon exam finding abdominal radiographs may be needed too.

If those tests look normal then a heartworm test, as vomiting is strangely one of the most common signs of heartworm disease in cats, should be done as well as a specific blood test for pancreatitis, a fel spec PL (feline specific pancreatic lipase). This test is highly specific for pancreatitis in cats.

The next step diagnostically would be an abdominal ultrasound and/or either exploratory surgery to look for an obstruction or any other abnormalities.

In the meantime you can try giving him an acid reducer and a bland diet to see if that helps.

You can try either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotodine) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pound cat every 12 to 24 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of 1/4 of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pound cat every 24 hours

These are quite safe and can be given for several days if necessary.

Dietary changes may help as well.

If he stops vomiting a couple hours after giving one of the acid reducers at home you can try a very bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.

Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your kitty. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian