Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Diarrhea he was given metramizole and the n was constipated…

Customer Question
Diarrhea he was given...

Diarrhea he was given metramizole and the n was constipated and then had diarrhea again he wants to eat and he drinks no matter what kind of food he gets diarrhea after couple days I want to give him activia

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Bentley he is 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bentley?

He has inflamed gums and is allergic to anisthea

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
12/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if Bentley has had relapses of diarrhea despite Metronidazole, then I'd note that we may have a Metronidazole resistant agent (ie resistant bacteria, virus, worms or protozoa) here. Therefore, it would be ideal to have a stool sample checked if it has not been done before. Though in the meantime, do make sure he is up to date on worming (Panacur/Fenbendazole would be a good option as it will cover for worms and some protozoa). Otherwise, you can use Activia but usually we find more benefit in using probiotics designed for dogs. OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) tend to work better for them and are available on Amazon, via vets and large pet stores. Otherwise, I'd also suggest adding fiber (ie canned pumpkin) to his food to bulk up his stools.

Furthermore, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying Bentley on a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI as we have his stool tested for those other concerns.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian